Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Golden Compass

I've recently received an email citing the atheistic message behind the movie; The Golden Compass. Although there was a certain response that such an email was a nauseating example of legalism, I considered the weight of its note.

Pamela, Janice and I watched the show last week. (Before I read the email.) I must say that other than Nicole Kidman, all that hype about the movie overshadowed the fact that it was really a blend concoction of an assortment of sub-plots. We were in the theatre, anticipating a climax, only to be disappointed by an ending that diluted all desire to catch the sequels. It didn't come across to me as atheist in any way though.

If I had kids, I wouldn't insist they boycott the movie. I don't think they'd catch any underlying meaning more than I, less request to read the book. However, if they do, I'd probably have my reservations. Philip Pullman would have cleverly entwined his angry anti-God sentiments into his trilogy as I perceive any extablished author would. One can never undermine the power of words and the compelling hold of well-written paragraphs.

Speaking of which, I think we should all be objective readers. A majority of us tend to believe everything we read. So influential are many authors they should become politicians. But aren't these authors human too? Surely they make mistakes. I remember picking up this book titled 'The Gifted Adult'. So elitist were the author's point of view of who is to be regarded as 'gifted' that I was allowed the impression she held such beliefs so as to justify her lack of ability to interact with the majority.

Nicole Kidman is glorious.

No comments: