Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I'm SBNA

Once upon a time, I walked into school with my eyebrows freshly plucked, my face accomodating a layer of foundation, manicured nails and lovely pink wedges. I looked and felt gorgeous. (Think Clueless.) I was beginning my semester in fashion design, so I reckoned if I were gonna be a fashion insider, I probably should look like one too. My hair was straight from the reponding(think Cleopetra) and fell into place with just a few swipes of the comb. I walked into class on time, my pink file tugged under my arm, ever ready to learn a thing or two.

3 months have passed. I cumber through the school gates half an hour late. No makeup. Flip-flops. Manicure peeling off. (Didn't even bother to touch up or at least remove the remains.) Curls growing out of my scalp. (Imagine curly on top, straight below.) My eyebrows don't look like eyebrows. And I couldn't be bothered with those crummy eye-stinging contact lenses. I just hook my plastic half white, half black specs behind my ears, pull on a t-shirt and my faithful ole' Levi's and head for school. (Sometimes I don't bathe.) Frankly, the only salvage for my designer look is my heavy duty specs. But my GORGEOUS LONG CURLY (I just need to show off) lashes get hidden behind the thick frames. Oh well, not that I really care. Being a designer is all about being unconventional and guess what? I'm anti-mainstream fashion. Isn't that unconventional enough? Maybe one day I would go to school with t-shirt, flip-flops and shorts. So much for being a fashion student.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been 3 weeks since I've officially gone on a singlehood vow until 23 April 2007. Of course my primary reason is to focus on spiritual matters, but as I think about it, there are more reasons that follow. Since I'm not dating, I can use all that excess time for the following. Afterall, we have only one-third of our lives to be single, haven't we?

1) Pursue my creative interests. (Spread those canvases and start painting. Now, I need money to finance my oil paints and easle and top-notch paint brushes. Anyone wants to donate?)

For donations, please call 98554475.

2) Become a genius. (I've got all that time to read stuff, explore new things, pick up Mandarin and German, invent a beam transportation machine.)

3) Lose weight. ( Go gym. Yeah right.)

4) Practice becoming a good wife. (Since I don't date, I'd use my sunday evenings when Aunty Belle is not around to cook dinner. I'm dead serious.)

And speaking of which, I started cooking last Sunday.(See how serious I am!) But I didn't do it at home. I had a funtastic cooking session at Ben's house with Ben and Cinthia.

Let me tell you about my date with the cooking pot..

I rummaged through the cook books I have at home and settled for green curry with fish fillets.
But you know cook books.... they give you ridiculously difficult ingredients to find..






Anyway, I prepared the ingredients for the curry paste:

The ingredients I put in:

4 fresh green chillis, 1 small onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped lemon grass, coriander spicing(just whack the amount), 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons lime rind(actually I didn't know what lime rind is so I just threw in half a lime with skin, seed and all into the blender.), 2 teaspoons shrimp paste, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons oil, coconut milk, fresh milk, dried lime leaves, oyster sauce, fish, sugar, leek.

(If some ingredients sound weird, well it's because I just threw it in with my own accord.)

So there I was, concocting the ingredients.

And Abracadabra!!! Green Curry!

Actually tasted good! So happy!

Gonna carry on with this post... but I'd end here for now coz I gotta go..




5 comments:

her royal highness said...

it's mine okay! Don't undermine your fashionable cell group member

Benjamin said...

Hahaha! It's me, Benjamin!
Your green curry was really tasty and savoury. hahaha.
Never knew you are on a singlehood vow thou. I had a 2yr vow that ended during may this year. It was tough but rewarding. hahaha.
Do visit my blog! :)http://www.serialno8332.blogspot.com

CinCinnati said...

whats a SBNA anyways?? wanted to ask but keep forgetting. hahahah. oh ur green curry was like SOO yummy, though there's obviously EXTRA ingredients added, which is best remain unknown for now. hahahhaa. but its nice! really!

far said...

hey briony!!! You CAN cook after all! Dont forget, you still owe us dinner!! remember????

her royal highness said...

Briony to Farah: Oh yeah.. hey i'm seriously considering inviting you guys someday. Promise. Shoot, I'm 4 years late.