Wednesday, January 12, 2005

another realm

The new semester has began. It's more interesting than I thought it would be. This time, we've moved on from fine arts to design. As I set there absorbing the concepts, my right brain was challenged to move up another realm. I never knew studying in lasalle could be this mind-bending.

Both sides of my brain began to wrestle with one another; literality against intuitive. Obviously, my left brain prevailed in the emulation, leaving me with an imagination of disturbing convention.

"Think harder!" My interior design teacher urged. I struggled to comprehend her confusing rhetorics, re-arranging the regular network of my mind. One precious concept I've learnt from her is that 'you're only thinking after the first 100 ideas'. I've never felt this challenged in months and I really appreciate it.

Our task: To express a design principle with a collage.
The difficulty is this:
For example, the design principle is contrast-You cannot create a collage that shows a big circle and a small circle. Then what else can you do? Think! Another example; the design principle is movement - creating a collaged car (because it moves) or anything pictorial would be wrong. So what does she expect? I realised she wants a collage that allows you to FEEL the repetition, the contrast, the movement, the texture or the progression when you stop to look, depending on the chosen principle. Nothing too literal or direct.

How interesting. So you don't look at a design, you feel it. (not with your fingers, but with your mind.) Any abstract design someone else can understand at first glance is too simplistic. Churn out another 99 ideas and see what you get after that.

B-e-a-utiful.


No comments: