Friday, September 02, 2005

Picture this

I've been obssessing over photoshop for the past 4 hours. It's a great deal of fun, distorting actual images and creating pictures you would never be able to take with a camera. With my new found interest in Photoshop, I've decided that this blog should be my virtual canvas to display my artistic inclinations. (Yes, I think I'm artistic, hoh.) Maybe I should photograph the things I write on my school's walls.

You know, the most important thing about being an artist is self-expression. Actually I'm a designer (a fashion design undergrad to be exact). Yeah but well, fine arts and design is kinda related somehow, although fine arts is on a more personal level. I like to think of myself as an artist in a design course.

Great artists were also great rebels or twisted in some way - gays, bisexuals, depressive maniacs. And it makes me wonder, do I have to be a rebel or wound up in some chronic depression to produce good art?

Is great art just all about not conforming to a system? I've been thinking; some starting artists do what is socially questionable in hopes to develop some form of artistic genious, or probably be categorized as enlightened unconventionals, just as long as it deviates from the system. Eventually, don't you think rebellion becomes a system in itself? It is conformism - in disguise. Oh, don't we artists just hate the word 'conform'.

I know I think different, respond different, look different... but I'm not a rebel - albeit my firm beliefs in the Bible. Oh but wait. I AM a rebel. I rebel against the system of rebellion.

Which means I....
1) Don't sleep around
2) Don't smoke
3) Don't drink.
4) Don't have tattoos or numerous piercings. (Not that I think it's wrong.)
5) Listen to Mummy.
6) Am incredibly sweet.

In other words, I'm squeaky clean. But hey, squeaky clean is rare. I'm rare and proud of it.

And if it takes some extreme form of emotion or pain to inspire an art work, what about a state of extreme happiness? Delirium? Euphoria?
Or is it because it's harder to achieve a state of euphoria than spiral into a bout of depression? And no one has been extremely happy in the history of mankind? Hence we haven't heard of happy painters.

But then again, great art of the current artist is determined by the system. So what again? The artist rebels to be accepted and well acclaimed by the system? Huh?

I could go on about how insignificant our little lives are with respect to my last statement(without the belief in a higher being). How we try to create identity for ourselves when we are in fact nameless beings living temporarily(Such a short time) on the face of this earth, only to be wiped out eventually by the ravages of time. Ah! Our fragile little lives.

But I shan't. I'm getting a little bored. So, I shall go on to my next segment!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been staring at the shoes Emily gave me, wondering if its practicality would ever surpass its aesthetic value... ever.



Oh well, apparently I still haven't found an occassion to wear those 4 inch heels.(Or is it 5?) Being the potential hot shot fashion designer I am, I decided to pair the shoes with my new dress design.

The dress nice? You wanna buy? Only $200. So much cheaper than Gucci lor.

Hurry! I still have a lot in stock!

2 comments: